Bylaws of the Linn Area Photo Club
ARTICLE I – NAME
This organization shall be known as the Linn Area Photo Club.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
The object of this Club shall be to bring together persons in the greater Linn County area who are interested in acquiring and developing an appreciation of the art and techniques of photography. This objective to be furthered by:
- Providing opportunities for exchanges of ideas and the dissemination of information on all phases of photography.
- Providing regular programs and competitions for the membership.
- Providing constructive criticism and helpful suggestions to members, together with advice, help and encouragement to beginners.
- Promoting good fellowship and mutual aid at all times.
- Working in cooperation with other camera clubs and organizations interested in photography.
ARTICLE III – MEETINGS
Regular meetings of the Club will be held at a time and location stipulated by the Executive Board.
- Special meetings may be called by the President or the Executive Board at any time.
- Other meetings may be scheduled as desired by the members.
ARTICLE IV – FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year of the organization shall begin January 1 and end December 31 of the following year.
ARTICLE V – MEMBERSHIP
Membership shall be open to persons who are interested in photography and whose applications have been approved by the Executive Board.
- Election to membership shall be by a majority affirmative vote of those present at the Executive Board meeting, provided they constitute a quorum.
- Annual dues shall be payable after notice of acceptance to the Club
- Any member whose dues are in arrears after March 31 of the current year shall be dropped from the roster upon due notice.
- Membership of any person may be suspended, when sufficient reasons exist, by the action of the Executive Board. The suspended member shall have the right to appeal suspension in person or in writing, in which case the action of the Executive Board shall be upheld or rescinded by the majority vote of the membership present at any official meeting, provided they constitute a quorum.
- Types of membership:
a) Single Membership: Any person interested in photography.
b) Sponsorship Membership: Any company interested in promoting photography.
ARTICLE VI – OFFICERS
The officers of this Club shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer. All officers shall be elected, for a period of one year, from the membership in good standing. The President shall not serve more than two consecutive terms in office.
- Duties of the President shall be: to preside at all Club meetings and Executive Board meetings; to appoint chairpersons of all committees; to act as Club spokesperson; to generally supervise and to keep in touch with all Club activities.
- Duties of the Vice-President shall be: to perform the duties of the President during the absence or disability of the President; to notify members of special meetings and events; to act as Club Director on the Executive Board.
- Duties of the Secretary shall be: to preserve in the books of the Club true minutes of the proceedings of Board meetings; to conduct correspondence of the Club; to prepare ballots for election; to act as Club Director on the Executive Board.
- Duties of the Treasurer shall be: to maintain records and custody of Club funds and dues; to discharge Club expenses and maintain records thereof; to prepare periodic reports of Club finances; to prepare an annual budget; to act as Club Director on the Executive Board; to maintain a current register of the entire membership.
ARTICLE VII – ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Election of officers shall be held annually.
- The President shall appoint a nominating committee composed of three members with at least one of these not on the Executive Board. The committee shall prepare and publish a single slate of officers in September and obtain the agreement from the nominees to serve, if elected. The chairperson of the committee shall present the slate at the November meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor with consent of nominee.
- Voting shall be by written ballot only when additional nominations from the floor are made. Oral balloting may elect the slate when there are no additional nominations.
ARTICLE VIll – EXECUTIVE BOARD
The management of this Club shall be directed by the Executive Board, composed of the elected officers, the chairpersons of the standing committees and at least two other members (one of whom, at least, shall have served on the preceding year's Board.)
- The Executive Board shall meet as often as necessary to transact the business of the Club, with a minimum of nine monthly meetings.
- One third of the Board shall constitute a quorum.
- Such Executive Board shall be selected from the membership in good standing for a term of one year. No member shall serve more than two full consecutive terms in the same elected office.
- Any member in good standing may attend any regular Board meeting.
- The two Directors without office shall be members who, in the opinion of the Board, will provide continuity and leadership throughout the year. It is recommended that the past President of the year just ended be automatically installed as a Director for the following two years.
- Any Board member failing to attend three consecutive Board meetings without justifiable reason shall lose their seat on the Board.
- The first meeting of the incoming Executive Board shall be a joint session with the out-going Board to facilitate an easy turnover and exchange of ideas.
ARTICLE IX – VACANCIES
Vacancies in Club offices shall be filled by the President, subject to approval of the Executive Board. The vacancy of the President's office shall be filled by the advancement of the Vice-President.
ARTICLE X – COMMITTEES
The President, after consulting the Executive Board, shall appoint chairpersons of the following standing committees and such special committees as the Board may establish.
- Standing Committees:
- Public Relations
- Web Master
- PSA Representative
Duties of these standing committees shall be defined in the Appendix.
- Special committees shall continue to function until the service for which they were formed is completed, or until discharged by the Board. Their appointments shall not extend beyond the close of the fiscal year in which they were appointed, unless reappointed by the new Board.
- The activities of the Club committees shall be determined by the Executive Board, The activities decided upon shall thereafter be carried out by the committee chairpersons and the members appointed by the chairpersons to the respective committees.
- Standing committee chairpersons shall prepare reports of activities and progress periodically for presentation to the Executive Board or to the membership of the Club and shall act as Club Director on the Executive Board.
- Tenure shall cease with the expiration of the fiscal year.
ARTICLE X11- FINANCES AND DUES
Membership dues, voluntary contributions, together with profits of such Club activities as are approved by the Executive Board, shall constitute the sources of revenue for the conduct of the affairs of the Club.
- The annual dues of the Club shall be determined by the Executive Board each fiscal year.
- Annual dues shall be payable after January 1 of the current fiscal year. Notice of acceptance after January 1 shall require payment as determined by the Board.
- The annual budget and finance report shall be presented to the membership in summary form shortly after the close of the fiscal year. The outgoing President shall submit the budget and finance reports in detail at the first meeting of the incoming Board for con-sideration and adoption by the new Executive Board.
Amendments to the Constitution may be proposed by any member of the Executive Board.
- A two thirds majority vote of at least a quorum of members present at any official meeting will ratify such amendment to the Constitution.
- A special meeting may be called for this purpose provided the members are given seven days notice and an explanation of the meeting.
- A proposed amendment may NOT be voted on at the meeting in which it was proposed, but shall be voted on not later than the second meeting following its submission.
Bylaws Adopted: February 7, 2004
Appendix – Linn Area Photo Club Bylaws
Duties of the Standing Committees shall be defined as follows:
To provide a newsletter containing photography news, upcoming events, product reviews, tips, and other reports and articles from sources inside and outside our club. The newsletter must be prepared electronically for distribution before the first of each month.
To recruit new members, maintain membership roster, and communicate with existing members. Responsible for mailing out information on the club to prospective new members and to send out membership cards as needed.
The duties of the PR Committee Chairperson include publicizing LAPC's meetings, other club sponsored events, public displays of club member's photography, and other events that may involve or benefit LAPC membership, by securing as much free publicity as possible through various media sources. This would also include producing print materials, such as brochures, and verbal communications, such as interviews on the radio, as needed to promote Linn Area Photo Club.
To coordinate our fun “extra” activities like photo shoots, workshops etc.
The duties include: Update the club website on a timely basis with upcoming meeting and event information, maintain the website's list of club officers and committee chairs, maintain an archive of all club newsletters, and ensure links to other web pages remain active.
To keep members informed about PSA, recruit individuals into PSA, understand PSA circuits and portfolios, promote interest in photographic exhibits, help members with exhibit forms and maintain the club’s PSA journal library.