- Call to Artists
1st Annual Artist
Portrayal Of Mount Vernon
- July 28th and 29th
- This event has been planned to bring together artists to portray Mount Vernon, IA.
Mount Vernon is such a creative and historical town, we thought it would be nice to gather area artists together and see what inspires them.
We ask that you choose an area, landscape, building, landmark, person, etc. in the Mount Vernon area for this event and participate in bringing it/them to art.
All artists are welcome to create in their chosen medium, i.e. Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Photography, Collage, Metal, etc. This event will bring together surrounding area artists as well as onlookers to explore Mount Vernon.
- Important Dates
- Register by: June 30, 2012 at the Mount Vernon Art Gallery and Supplies,
122 1st Street SW
Event dates: July 28 and 29, 10 – 4 pm
(Photographers and anyone who wants to join, we are also planning a walk around town July 28th. Join Robert at the Gallery at 8:00 a.m. to explore Mount Vernon through the lens.)
Delivery of artwork to gallery: August 25, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. or August 26, 12 – 4 p.m.
Gallery Showing: Sept 4, 2012 – Oct 28, 2012
Artist Reception: Sept 7, 2012 from 7 – 8:30 p.m.
Public reception: Sept 14, 2012 from 7 – 8:30 p.m.
Art pick up at Gallery (if not sold): Oct 28, 2012 from 4 – 6 p.m. or
Oct 29th from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Event Details
- (July 28th and 29th, 10 – 4 pm) Select one or both dates to create master pieces of the Mount Vernon area. Whichever date(s) you select, please plan to be onsite from 10 a.m. – 4p.m. for those wanting to view your creativity. We want this to be an event for the artist as well as onlookers. During the event, ‘set up shop’ and be creative portraying a specific area of Mount Vernon that you feel is beautiful, unique, historical or something that just needs showcasing.
Photographers and anyone who wants to join, we are also planning a walk around town July 28th. Join Robert at the Gallery at 8:00 a.m. to explore the town through the lens.
- Delivery of Artwork to the Gallery
- (Sat, August 25th, 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. or Sun, August 26th 12 – 4 p.m.) It is important that your work be prepared for the gallery showing when delivered, i.e. ready to hang / display, framed, priced, etc. It is important to deliver your work on one of these dates to prepare for the showing. The time frame between the event and the delivery to the gallery should give you time to prepare the piece for display. See Robert or Denise at the Gallery in advance of the delivery date if you need assistance with museum quality framing for photography, drawing, watercolor, pen and ink, pastels, etc. (Excludes canvas paintings. Give two weeks lead time for framing needs)
- Gallery Showing
- (Sept 4, 2012 – Oct 28, 2012) Your art will be displayed in the Gallery with the other pieces created during the July 28th and 29th event. You can display up to 2 items. If sold, the Gallery will receive 30% of the selling price.
- Artist Reception
- (Sept 7, 2012 from 7 – 8:30 p.m.) This reception is special for the artists to admire all the work that was created during the July 28th and 29th event. There will be refreshments served during this event. Bring a guest and join us for this event.
- Public Reception
- (Sept 14, 2012 from 7 – 8:30 p.m.) This showing will be advertised for others in the community to enjoy the display. Open to anyone wishing to attend.
- During the Gallery show and through the receptions there will be voting for the following categories.
Best Portrayal of Mount Vernon Award
Peoples’ Choice Award
Artists’ Choice Award
Art Gallery and Supplies Award
- Registration Form
- Click here to download the Registration form