In 2018, the Linn Area Photo Club Executive Board voted to adopt the Greater Cedar Rapids Help-Portrait event to be a part of the Linn Area Photo Club. The decision was quite simple to make since a vast majority of the volunteers who participate in the annual event are Linn Area Photo Club Members and the GCRA Help-Portrait event also fits the mission of LAPC by providing:
1) Opportunity to apply photography skills
2) Opportunity to learn and practice new skills like Portrait Photography & Portrait Editing
3) Expanding the Club's involvement into the area community
GCRA Help Portrait maintains its own website which can be found at http://gcrahelpportrait.com .
Leadership of GCRA Help-Portrait is a subgroup of Linn Area Photo Club members and other members of the community. The GCRA Help-Portrait are appointed by the LAPC Board.
The GCRA Help-Portrait budget is kept separate from LAPC budget (on paper, but not financially), and LAPC contributes annually an amount of money (as determined by the LAPC Executive Board) to keep GCRA Help Portrait financially solvent.
Help-Portrait is a worldwide movement of photographers using their time, equipment, and expertise to give back to people less fortunate during the holiday season. It happens on the same day (first Saturday of December), once a year, across the world!
Greater Cedar Rapids Help-Portrait is a local group bringing together Cedar Rapids area studio photographers, photo enthusiasts, make-up stylists, and many other community volunteers to assist those in need here in our community by providing free holiday portraits. We at Greater Cedar Rapids Help-Portrait are proud to be a part of the world-wide Help-Portrait movement.
Greater Cedar Rapids Help-Portrait works with local community service organizations to find families in need, and that list includes:
- Young Parents Network (YPN)
- Area Substance Abuse Council (ASAC)
- St Paul’s United Methodist Church – African Nationals Ministries
- First Presbyterian Sunday Evening Meals
- Veterans Community Resource Center
- Loaves & Fishes
- Jane Boyd Community House
- House of Hope
- Willis Dady Homeless Services
- Mission of Hope
- Tanager Place
- Catholic Worker House
- His Hands Free Clinic
- Power of Women & Children
- The Arc of East Central Iowa
Family groups who benefit from Greater Cedar Rapids Area Help-Portrait:
- Sr. Citizens
- High School Seniors (Portraits for families in need)
- Families In Need
Each participating family is offered:
- A FREE photo 20-minute session with a studio photographer
- One FREE framed 8” X 10” portrait & three FREE 4” X 5” pictures
- A FREE USB drive containing the pictures from the session
- Plus a written statement giving them the copyrights to print any of those images anywhere they want.
To volunteer your time and assist GCRA Help-Portrait and Linn Area Photo Club go to: http://gcrahelpportrait.com/volunteer/