The Annual Contest is fast approaching…. time to start working on your images. The Contest Committee asked me to share with you some information:
- If you want some feedback on a few of your images before the contest…. submit two images per month to: firstname.lastname@example.org A panel of Club Member will get you some helpful hints on how to improve your images: Cropping, Focus, Color, Composition, etc. You can get at least 4 of your images reviewed prior to the Annual Contest!
- If you did not order foam board last time send an email to Bob Lancaster email@example.com. He will order a minimum of 10 – 11″x14″ foam boards for you. These foam boards will meet the Annual Contest Club requirements. They are less expensive than anywhere locally at $1.00 ea. You can't cut your own for this price!
- The Annual Contest rules are below. Be sure to read through them… there are some changes from last year.
- The Club-Selected Theme is: “My Home Town”
I hope to see 400 images this year. With 135 members, and about 10 categories we “should” see about 2100 images. But that would be very optimistic. Cool, but way too optimistic! So let's shoot for 400! Based upon what I have seen at the “Monthly Contests” and the Digital Submissions” so far this year….. we have a lot of very talented photographers throughout the Club. So get them printed and mounted and lets have a great contest!
President – Linn Area Photo Club
Annual Contest Categories
|1. People||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|2. Landscape||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|3. Macro/Close up||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|4. Animals||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|5. Action/Motion||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|6. My favorite photo||11 X 14”or may be a Panoramic – If making a panoramic it must be a minimum of 2:1 ratio, with a maximum of 14″ on the short side. maximum of 1 entry per person for this category.|
|7. Low light||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|8. Computer manipulated||B&W or color. 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions, max of 2 entries per person per category|
|9. Club chosen: “My Home Town”||B&W or color 11 X 14” maximum outside dimensions. Winning photo is not eligible for Best of Show award. A first place award only is given. One entry per person.|
Annual Contest Rules
1. Competitors must be members in good standing with Linn Area Photo Club, and have their dues paid (at time of judging).
2. Photos must be submitted to entry table no later than 1:30pm (not just in the building). Late entries will NOT be accepted.
1. Entries must be in print form only
2. There is no restriction regarding print media. Glossy, matte, metallic, canvas etc. are all acceptable.
3. Entries may be either color or black and white in any category, unless specifically restricted.
4. Entries must be the original work of the competitor and must have been taken with in the previous five (5) years
5. Entries cannot have been a previous LAPC Annual Contest winner, to include (1st, 2nd or 3rd place or best of show). Honorable mention photos may be resubmitted if changes have been made to it for reconsideration.
6. Photos must be mounted on 11” X 14” foam core board or rigid backing board. Panoramic prints shall be mounted to print size.
7. Matting is optional but cannot exceed the 11 X 14” overall size limit.
8. Entries cannot be framed or include any type of covering
9. All entries must have the competitor’s name, image title, name (category) to be entered into and an arrow indicating up orientation on the back, lower right-hand corner. Information must be legible to the committee.
10. No collages
11. No writing, logos or names allowed on front of photos.
12. Any photo may be disqualified by Contest Rules Committee if deemed inappropriate and /or not meeting any rule or requirement.
13. Photos of nudes are not eligible
14. Photos placed in a category by entrant but deemed to be better in a different category by Contest Committee may be moved as long as entrant has no more than allowed photos in that category. Entrant will be advised of possible move prior to doing so if possible.
Entries, Prizes and Judging
1. Each competitor may submit up to two (2) photos in each category, unless otherwise noted in category criteria.
2. Three (3) winning entries (1st, 2nd and 3rd place), along with up to three (3) Honorable mention entries shall be selected, per category excluding Club Chosen category.
3. Only the three winning entries (1st, 2nd and 3rd, as well as best of show will receive a prize. Competitors may win up to two (2) awards/prizes in each category.
4. The same photo may not be entered into more than one (1) category.
5. Best of Show award will be selected from amongst the 1st Place winners in all categories except Club Chosen, and be awarded in addition to 1st Place award for that category.
6. The Annual Contest will be judged by pre-selected judge or judges.
7. Judges and or Contest Committee members reserve the right to move photos to other categories if the category choice is deemed appropriate. Photo will be disqualified if appropriate category already has maximum number of entries from entrant.
2016 Annual Contest Categories Definitions
Winner of Annual Club Theme Category will receive one (1) year paid membership to the LAPC for the following year starting January 1st.